Thursday, April 19, 2007

niece's birthday card

Quick, rush, gotta get it done so it can get in the mail in time! [sigh] This is the story of my papercrafting right now. I can't seem to work ahead, even knowing birthdays and anniversaries are coming up.

This card is so not what I planned to make for my (almost) 5-year old niece. I wanted to use the Cricut, cut out a birthday cake, make the right number of candles, and maybe even use a shadowbox card for the layout. There was just no time to play. Honestly, using the Cricut is more time consuming than stamping. I can never figure out what size things are going to cut when I use an image for the first time, so there's lots of trial and error involved. While I love the fact that the Cricut cutouts are scalable (unlike some other die cut machines), sometimes it's easier to use a stamp.

The Pocket Full of Posies paper from DCWV has little spots of glitter all over it. To tie in the main image, I watercolored the cake with my Tombow markers and waterbrush, then covered it with Sakura's stardust gelly roll pen. I also ran the stardust around the rings of the sentiment and over the gift in the middle. To add just a bit more glitter (she is turning 5 after all), I covered the flower brads with glue and dipped them in the glitter too. It is, of course, more sparkly in real life than the scanner picked up.

birthday_s

Stamps: Cake, Katie & Co., Michael's $1 stamp; Riveting, SU!
Paper: DCWV, Pocket Full of Posies 8x8 stack, Brights stack
Ink: Versafine Onyx
Accessories: Tombow markers; glitter; 1-1/4 and 1-3/8 circle punches; word window punch, SU!; Making Memories gold flower brads; Sakura stardust gelly roll

No comments: