Friday, March 23, 2007

sleepless over design

This is what I get for working on projects on a work night - a lot less sleep!

I'm designing the invitations for one of my nephew's 1st birthday party, which is coming up in April. My youngest sister actually started the project, but I said I'd help. I'm using my Cricut to make die cuts, trying to match the plates/napkins/etc theme, and the plan is to have an assembling party with my mom and sisters. (I figure they can glue stuff down rather than having them stamp, though my mom is a pretty decent stamper.)

Mom sent me a scan of the napkins earlier this week. I've been percolating ideas in the back of my head since then. Yesterday, I went to a LSS to see if I could find paper with patterns close to the napkin design. I think I found something that will work, though it's not an exact match. So, despite getting home late last night (8pm), I started working on the invites. I had a rough layout by about 10:30, so I figured I'd go to bed.

Lying in bed, I could not stop thinking about the invite and how the layout I had wasn't quite working for me. As I moved elements around in my head and thought of possible solutions, I debated getting back up to work on it because I just needed to see it. But I stayed in bed, finalizing what layout I wanted to try, hoping I'd remember it in the morning.

Several times during the night, I woke up, and reminded myself of the layout, just so I wouldn't forget it. But that just got my brain going each time, making it difficult to fall back to sleep. (And it didn't help that my man was out late on a service call and not in the bed next to me.)

So in total, I may have gotten about 3 hours of sleep. But after I showered this morning, I deprived the cats of some of their "momma-lap" time in order to redo the invite. I'm happy with it so far, so I sent it off to my mom for her input. I know there are things I need to change on it (like using actual colored cardstock for some of the cutouts instead of inking the white to fake it), but that's OK. I can work out the details before I cut the pieces for all of them.

No comments: